Monday, October 8, 2012

Pacquiao vs Marquez 4 - Press Conference Highlights



Press Conference Higlights

September 17, 2012 in Beverly Hotel, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, California


Pacquiao vs Marquez 4 - Press Conference


Todd duBoef, Top Rank

"First of all, on December 8, 2012, at the MGM Grand Garden, we will see the fourth match between these two legends. As Fred Sternburg said, Ernie Banks said, 'Play two.' We're playing four. And when everyone said to me before, when I was doing interviews, they said to me, 'Do you think the consumers want to see a fourth fight?' I said, wait a second. 'Is it gonna be hard to sell a fourth fight?' I said, 'Hard to sell a fourth fight? Did you see the first 36 rounds? There wasn't a dull moment.'

"So on the way here, I said to my crack staff, 'Give me some matches of four fights. Four or more fights.' Let me give you one moment, and let me read down the list. I'll start back in 1915,from the oldest one. Jack Britton-Ted Lewis, 20 fights. Gene Tunney-Harry Greb, five fights. Beau Jack-Bob Montgomery, four fights. Sugar Ray Robinson-Jake LaMotta, six fights. Sadler-Pep, four fights. Jersey Joe Walcott-Ezzard Charles, four fights. Beau Jack-Ike Williams, four fights. Sugar Ray Robinson-Gene Fullmer, four fights. Bobby Chacon-Bazooka Limon, four fights. Joey Giardello-Dick Tiger, four fights. Azumah Nelson-Leija, four. And Israel Vazquez-Rafael Marquez, four.

"And what was the common ingredient? I think almost every one of them sit in the Hall of Fame. So some of the greatest fighters of the history have sat there, and done four fights, and this again will cement the legacy for both of them."

Fernando Beltran, Zanfer Promotions
 "We're very happy that this fight is going to happen on December 8. I think this is one of the best matches you can make, because of the styles. Both styles match each other tremendously, and they have proven that in their past three fights. I think it's going to be a very interesting fight."

"I would like to thank Manny Pacquiao and his team. We know that he's a great, great fighter, and a great person, inside and out of the ring. Very classy sportsman. We'd really like to thank Manny for this tremendous opportunity."

"It's going to be a very, very good fight. May the best man win. ... Every single buy that we had for the past fights are going to buy this fight, and probably a little more. Because who doesn't want to see this tremendous match?"

Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's Trainer
"This is the fourth time. It's a big fight, a fight that I had to get Manny ready for three times, and they were all very close fights."
"Pretty much, I'm going to take those game plans and throw them out the window and start over. It's a great fight. Two of the best out there. And I can't wait to get it started."

Juan Manuel Marquez
"I want to thank Bob Arum, Pacquiao's team and Manny for giving me this opportunity. ... Most important for this fight is Manny Pacquiao knows me. I know him. This is a great fight. The people say, why again? Why again, (fight) Pacquiao?
I said because I want to prove who's better. I want the referee to raise my hand. ... I don't like the judges' decisions. I don't like it because everybody knows what happened the last three fights. I'm training very hard, and I'll see you on December 8."

Manny Pacquiao
"What I can say is, this fight is going to be a great fight, because I want to erase the doubts of the fans in boxing. Especially -- there's so many people asking if I really won the third fight, and I say yes, I won the fight. No doubt. Marquez is claiming that he won the fight."
"So I think something's wrong. So this time, Marquez needs to train hard, and give a good fight, and I'll train hard to give a good fight, to make people happy, and to put this fight into the history of boxing. I hope that all the fans watch on December 8. It's going to be a good fight."

"I need to make it short. Not to leave any doubts in the minds of the fans. I want to show the old Manny Pacquiao, from when I was 25, 24 years old, the hungry Manny Pacquiao in the ring."